Thursday, Nov 6, 2014 • Updated at 3:24 PM EST
Fourteen members of the Latin Kings street gang have been indicted on charges accusing them of attacks against rivals that left four victims maimed for life, law enforcement officials announced Thursday.
One victim was stabbed and nearly scalped in an attack last year, according to the indictment. Three of his fellow gang members who were present at the time were also assaulted. They all survived.
Vodka, Heroin, Razors Easy to Smuggle Into Rikers: Probe
"The streets of Brooklyn do not belong to the Latin Kings but to the people of Brooklyn, and our streets after now safer as a result of these arrests," Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson said in a statement.
Ten of the indicted gang members were arrested Wednesday; four were already behind bars. They were arraigned in Brooklyn Supreme Court and nine were ordered to return to court in January. The lead defendant, Luis Blanco, 26, alleged "First Crown" of the Latin King's Outlaw tribe, was held without bail.
Man Attacks 7-Year-Old Son, 2 Women With Barbell: Cops
The charges against them include attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, gang assault and tampering with witnesses in connection with attacks on seven rivals of the Almighty Latin King and Queen Nation's Outlaws tribe, according to the indictment.
If convicted of the most serious charges, each defendant faces up to 25 years in prison, Thompson said.
The charges stem from attacks against rival gang members that began in September, 2013.
A second indictment charges four individuals, including a Latin King, with kidnapping and other crimes in connection with an assault and robbery on Oct. 21 in East New York.